Thursday 8 January 2015

Want to be debt free in 2015? Read Timi O's testimonial on how she paid off 90% of her N1.8 million debt.



Timi O, a single mother in her early thirties, contacted me towards the end of 2013, asking me to coach her through the process of paying her debt of circa N1.8million. We started the coaching process and I received the testimonial below from Timi in December, 2014, saying she had paid off about 90% her debt and only had the sum of N235, 000 left to pay. Please read her testimonial below and be inspired:

Testinonial 2: January 2014, marked another fresh start to the rest of my life…. I was excited, energetic, happy, optimistic and so ready to face all that the New Year could possibly bring.

You see in the year 2013, I experienced more highs and lows than a musical concerto.   Personal triumphs over past failures made that one year an amazing adventure for me.

A fresh encounter with God gave me a deeper understanding of myself, my life and world on so many different levels.  All this paved the way for the series of events- good, bad and ugly that shaped my resolve and new found confidence.

In all of this euphoria, what I failed to anticipate was the backdoor of my mind. You can always count on the parasites that fate carries along with her….there are a host of them lurking in the shadows of good fortune. Mine was debt, a lot of it at that.  I was never particularly bothered or frightened by it because at the time a great percentage of it was tied to my business which was planned and managed to cover it over a specific time.  Putting said business in order by developing proper structure was in line and a major part of my plans for the New Year.  I had already made arrangements for coaching sessions that would help effect all these plans.

The thing is, it seemed everything just came crashing all at the same time….the business took a major hit, issues on the home front, my car just packed up overnight and I had 2 corporate debtors that I had to pursue legally.  It was a huge wreck and I was anxious, angry, doubtful, tired and confused. Now this debt was threatening to drain and rob my brand new year of hope, focus and peace.
One minute I would think up and play out clever plans to salvage one wreck and the next I would stay up all night in front of my computer churning out documents and budgets I felt could justify the activity.

Everything I did seemed to make it worse.  The small ‘cash cow’ business I started as a means to tide me over this hard season only kept swallowing every kobo I did have, did not have, borrowed and earned to keep it all together.

It wasn’t long before the effects started telling on me physically also.  I was embarrassed, mad, very scared and even more miserable.  Fed up and not wanting to make yet another bad move, I turned to a dear childhood friend, turned confidant, financial guru and life coach, Omilola Oshikoya.

I hated that she was not in the least bit interested in the effect this debt was having on me Lol!  She just wanted to know the extent of the debt so she could start a plan at dissolving it. 

She started with a review on my business activities and income. She made key observations and advised I take a militant approach to putting my finances in order.  Her approach seemed rather harsh and callous for my sore self at the time, now I know it truly was the only way to move forward with me.

The points she made I doubt I would have ever really considered outside of the circumstances.   In a nutshell she noted how it was only a matter of time before I ran into trouble financially and with the business as my income was faulty for my personal situation.  She explained how my income was under too much pressure and how I had crippled the business by tampering with cash flow not letting the business fund itself properly.

 It was simply overloaded with the weight of funding itself, my expenses and that of my family.  Being a single mother, I bear all financial responsibility of raising my son.  Dipping into the business kitty to shoulder my responsibility was the status quo, I never thought twice of it or otherwise…
Omilola pointed out that the ‘well’ had run dry and would remain so if I did not set up a plan for spreading the weight such that the business could be funded properly to sustain itself and myself in the long term.  We discussed options and then she sent me away with home-work asking me to list my debts providing details of each account.

I ignored the home-work, it was not until the very day we were due to meet again I powered up my computer and opened an excel sheet.  Hmmmn… by the time I was done with the document, I was actually smiling.  It was a nice colourful chart as I had colour coded the columns according to each category  etc.   The real reason I was smiling was because looking at the sheet, it was clear my debt was not in fact endless nor were the funds unaccountable for.  I was relieved and eager to see what Omi would make of it.

She went over it asking me to make some adjustments and asked what I thought my options were in paying back all the “gbese” I had accumulated. 

Being fully aware of the state of my business and the other ‘handicaps’ I had, I wondered why she would ask such….was she even listening to anything I had been saying this whole time????
We engaged in a long and sometimes heated discussion in which I argued I thought it made sense to pay off the debt according to how persistent, aggressive, intimidated or ashamed the creditor was or made me feel.  I could not bear the thought of dodging people and with my integrity at stake I really did not want to commit to specific figures and dates not readily knowing where and how I would generate the funds from.

After Omilola explained in detail the importance of scheduling repayments, we structured a repayment schedule that was regular and flexible enough to accommodate my living expenses and would have me debt free in 11 months.

It sounded and looked very simple but I was still somewhat skeptical because in all of this I still did not have any source of regular income.  I was working on a major project that would take several months to start off meaning I could not to commit to paid employment.  My business having been restructured to operate seasonally, I wasn’t confident could carry the weight of this repayment plan without some form of intervention at least.

We concluded this meeting with Omi leading a simple prayer asking God to show up in my debt and take control of it, she prayed He create additional sources of income and divine help & helpers that would share the weight of my bills which included my sons expenses.  Of course I prayed along giving her the side eye….”does this girl truly understand the reality on ground”!!

But you see God is not a respecter of me, any debt or balance sheet, He is an extraordinary and SUPREME being and will always do the extraordinary, even if just to humble skeptical children like me….

It’ll take a whole day to detail each episode as it occurred but it wasn’t up to one week later when things just started to happen….It was like our old clients just remembered us all of a sudden.  Jobs started rolling in steady and what we had reduced to a seasonal source of income was regular enough to cover 2 of my monthly installments.  I was offered a couple of opportunities to provide services that would bring in daily income through the comatose cash cow business I had left in limbo.

One day, my mother summoned me to discuss her personal concerns and randomly concluded by stating she wanted to start taking care of her grandson’s school and extracurricular bills with immediate effect even insisting that I include a few more I had cut out when my financial crisis started.

Weak is an understatement…I was faint, simply dumbfounded and could not stop crying.  My son was 7 years old and I had always taken care of his bills regardless of how difficult it was at times borrowing from my own mother to meet up with school fees etc.  From nowhere, this same mother just decides to assume that responsibility, I must add exactly 4 days before said fees were overdue.  So much for my prayerful * side eye*.


When I told Omilola, she was overwhelmed with emotion and in true coach fashion got charged.  She started, “Timi, you’re free, God is answering, you can do more, you have to push, push for more, try, don’t stop trying”…Lol

A whole lot happened on my journey getting debt free in 2014.  There were times it was really rough, however on the whole, I am extremely grateful for the experience and lessons learnt on this journey.
My payment schedule allowed me to discuss debt openly (without cringing) and calm tensions with creditors by showing them exactly where they stood in the plan.  I would answer the phone with confidence and facing the debt itself was the release from the fear and shame I once felt.

Basic, factual and plain truths packed with no shame and wise financial principles; sacrifice, saving, cut your coat according to your material!  I have learnt this now and I’m glad I am teaching it also to my son.  My friends were kind, understanding and overly generous many times treating me to the various stuff they knew I was forced to cut out of my expenditure. 

Most importantly, getting in and out of this debt I believe was an act of God to teach me the true value of money which is nothing.  I say this because I did not earn half as much as I ever have yet I did more than I ever did back in the days when I thought I was ‘loaded’.  In my lack, I was able to recognize the hand of God in my business, affairs and pocket.  I met amazing people and had meaningful experiences I could only have dreamt of. 

The bible says ‘Remember the lord your God for it is he who gives you the ability to produce wealth’.  I was forced to ‘remember God’ as none of the events that enabled me to get debt free were my doing.  But it was He that gave me to see, choose and use the opportunities that presented themselves to help me get out of debt.  I am a lot more financially literate and mindful than I ever cared to be and I do not play with my tithes, it is all God’s money not mine.

The project I have been working on these last year has matured and with a lot more earning potential will launch in the first quarter of 2015.  As of 17th December 2014 a debt of N1,824,000 has reduced to N235,000(only): the circumstances  not having changed significantly and with regular income still in the pipeline. 

Surely there is PLENTY of hope for you this year. The choice is yours, the year is very young but you have got to choose to DO IT AFRAID.  Kill your parasites, whatever they may be. If it is Debt, set yourself free, throw some light on your finances and get help.    

0 comments:

Post a Comment