Thursday 8 January 2015

Want to be debt free in 2015? Read Sola Afolayan's testimonial on how she paid off her debt of N4.2 million




On the 6th of January, 2014, Sola Afolayan, contacted me saying that she was in debt of N4.2million and wanted me to coach/mentor her through the process of paying off her debt. I spoke to Sola and advised her based on my expertise as a finance coach. On the 16th of October, 2014, Sola sent me a message saying she had cleared her entire debt in just 9 months. Please read her testimonial below and be inspired:

Testimonial 1: My journey to financial freedom included the need to be free of bad debt. This journey started in my mind about a year before I was coached by Omilola Oshikoya.  I said ‘mind’ because; I am a determined person with drive and grit but given my personality type, I failed to realize my dream of being debt free because I was dancing around the issue and didn’t know I needed to approach this issue from a behavioral angle. This was why I failed, not until Omilola helped me look at the real issues which were: “How did I get myself into this debt in the first place?”, “What belief systems was I running when it came to financial management?”, “Who am I accountable to?”, “What does wealth mean to me?”, and “How will I feel when I am completely free of bad debt?”. Basically, she helped me navigate the murky waters I was in by helping me identify a key weakness in my personality (I have a load of steam at the start of a project and the steam runs out not long after because I tend to launch out on another project, not long after). I had a short attention span, hence, low staying power to commitments. So, yes, she helped me find the need to be accountable. Interestingly, I chose to become accountable to the dream I had so long neglected, self-care. All my dreams had hitherto been push to the back burner.
Secondly, I had to rethink my ‘giving policy’- I was an over-giver, an emotional one. I was fond of funding needs, not dreams. And since there will never be an end to ‘needs’, I was always finding myself in situations where I had to rescue people. But that has changed. It changed because I had a coach who made me see reason why balance is key and why giving without purpose was ultimately hurtful. You see, the belief systems I run, hence my values and goals, are entrenched in my religious beliefs. She helped me re-align this too. This was very vital as it helped free me from guilt and stay focus on ‘putting the first thing first’. A practical step she helped me with was to have an account solely dedicated to ‘charity’ and after I had expended it that was it. So, I didn’t feel guilty when I said ‘no’ to ‘needs’. Infact, it helped me do more for people.
There are a number of other factors that also helped me stay on course which she was immensely instrumental to:
·         Do it afraid: I was afraid of the mountainous N4.2million.
·         Start now: Aside from acknowledging my fears, she taught me not to accept its crippling effect but to start NOW.
·         Start small: She knew I could be a steam in January and then a spring by March. So she advised I start small by paying N500, 000 per month instead of my ambitious N1million. This I followed through religiously, which helped me payoff my N4.2million debt as at Dec 2013, by first week October 2014.
·         Learn, Unlearn, re-learn: She helped me seek out books related to financial management- I re-read ‘Rich Dad, Poor Dad’, a CD book: What got you here, wouldn’t get you there’- this helped me unlearn some myths and re-learn some self-prospering beliefs and practices.

I am overwhelmed with joy with the solid foundation I have built on my way to financial freedom. Thank you Coach Omi.

2 comments:

  1. Most of us grew up with the idea that there is good debt and there is bad debt. Good debts are generally considered to be debts you incur to buy things that can go up in value—like a home or college education. Bad debts are things like credit card balances, where you borrowed money to buy things that depreciate or go down in value, like most consumer goods. Here you can find more about Debt Free Lisa Graham

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice blog.. bookmarked it.............

    ReplyDelete